2013 brought some real challenges, especially the deaths of two of my coworkers less than a month apart. It also brought a massive blizzard that I missed, the death of one of my cats, and the retirement of several long-term, fantastic board members at my college.
But this year also brought some really great things, things I want to make sure I acknowledge and express gratitude for.
In no particular order, these are the 13 best things about 2013:
1. My daughter earned her second master’s degree and is now the most educated woman on both sides of our family for as long as we’ve tracked our families.
2. My son got married to a wonderful, beautiful young woman who loves him like crazy.
3. My daughter-in-law (aforementioned) got her first professional job teaching high school, and my son-in-law started his master’s degree in business.
4. Breaking Bad.
5. My mother and father are still with us. As are all of my siblings and their families. I am especially grateful for our good health.
6. I celebrated my 29th anniversary with the love of my life.
7. I finished my coursework for my doctorate and will be, officially, ABD in February if I pass my comps.
8. I saw Pearl Jam! Yep, that’s right, Pearl Jam. In Oklahoma City. And it was magical.
9. I started the corner farmhouse blog and actually made over 20 posts. That’s big, people! Big!
10. I reconnected with childhood friends on facebook. Kids I grew up with and went to school with all 12 years (or mostly). Still the best friends I have ever had.
11. I read To Kill a Mockingbird for the 35th time and got to meet Mary Badham, who played Scout in the movie.
12. I got to have lunch with Carlotta Walls-Lanier, the youngest of the students who integrated Little Rock High School in the 1950s. She is a fascinating, lovely woman.
13. I turned 50 and swam a mile on my birthday; swimming that mile was the biggest goal I set for myself this year!